This page is formulated especially for programme editor's in clubs hosting our teams - especially the 1st Team. Below you'll find information on the history of HTFC as well as a 1st Team squad list.
Horley Football Club was first affiliated to Surrey County FA in 1896. In 1903 another local club by the name of Gatwick Rovers was formed and the two clubs merged in 1908 with Horley retaining its name. Both these original clubs played in the same colours of red & black and it was not until 1912 that Horley adopted the colours of claret & blue that they still wear to this very day.
Intermediate football was tasted for the first time in season 1925/26 following an appearance in the Surrey County Junior Cup Final in 1923/24 and winning the
Surrey County Junior Charity Cup in 1924/25.Following the Second World War, Horley was faced with the prospect of losing its home at The Kings Head ground and set about finding a new home. A local landowner by the name of Major A.L.N. Jennings became the Club’s benefactor (and President) following his generous decision to give the club 10.7 acres of land in Smallfield Road. The land was held in trust for the people of Horley from 1947, in memory of those that died in the defence of their country, and the ground was appropriately named The Defence.
Season 1950/51 saw Horley win the Surrey Intermediate League Eastern Section and seek election to the Surrey Senior League for season 1951/52. This excursion into Senior football was short lived as the Club found themselves back in Junior football by season 1954/55. Intermediate status was regained in 1956/57 season and in season 1957/58 they entered their first ever Youth team in the local Redhill & District League.
With the expansion of the village of Horley to a town the Club changed its name in 1974 to become Horley Town F.C. During this spell in senior football, Horley Town enjoyed their most successful period culminating in the winning of the Surrey Senior League title and Surrey Senior League Challenge Cup in 1976/77. The Club also reached the final of the Surrey Senior League Charity Cup in this season.
The club went on to compete in the London Spartan League and the Athenian League before returning to the Combined Counties League (formerly the Surrey Senior League).
The early 1980’s saw the Club expand their interest in Youth football with the creation of Horley Town Minors. This relationship has grown over the years and is the reason why the Club has evolved into a well respected community club providing football for the people of Horley irrespective of age, sex or race.
In September 2003, Horley Town moved to their new ground, named The New Defence in deference to their old home, behind the New Leisure Centre.
The Club has been in the Combined Counties League Premier Division since 2006 and, in addition to its Reserves and Youth teams, incorporates numerous successful junior football teams at all age levels.
In 2009/10 the Club welcomed Horley Rugby Club and The New Defence Sports Club with its excellent facilities can now offer both sports to local enthusiasts on a regular basis.
2011/12 saw Horley Town FC finish in the top half of the League under the management of Ali Rennie and Mark Lay also seeing some good results in the FA Cup rounds.
2012/13 was Rennie's last season in charge and Reserves boss Trevor Smith was appointed as his successor for season 2013/14. However results didnt go their way, despite showing some early promise in the FA Cup. At the end of November, the club and Trevor agreed an amicable parting of the ways and Youth Team Manager and club stalwart Anthony Jupp agreed to take on the role at least temporarily.